Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Swimming Monday

I went in and swam on my own late today.  2 km in total, with some laps swum one-handed (to give the right wrist a rest). 

I took a total of 48 minutes to complete the 2 km.  That means 4 minutes and 50 seconds per 200 meters.

In the Olympics, the medium - to - slow guys swam 200 meters in about 2 minutes.  That means I take more than twice their time!  (forget for a minute about the fact that I'm swimming twice as long, so can't give it my all for 200 meters).  This isn't a fun stat. 

I'm going to continue swimming 1.5 - 3 km at least thrice per week.  At the same time, given the above insight, I am now going to start working a bit more on the following two things:

  1. less rest; I'm currently resting a little every 25 - 50 meters (i.e. whenever I need to turn around in the pool).  I need to swim more laps continuously, which means I need to learn how to do a quick turn
  2. Speeding up.  This is easier when I'm swimming on my own, because then I don't need to worry about social interactions.  But I need to cut down my time!

No comments: