Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Olympics, US basketball team

The US basketball team has been quite dominant so far.  Perhaps not as much as some would like, but at least that makes for slightly better basketball.

Watching the US - Australia match live now (damn NBC, waking me up at 5 am!).  There are 12 seconds left in the first quarter, and Australia is trailing by 2 points.

So far, I'm still not super-impressed by the team. Perhaps because my expectations were so high.  But I just don't like some of the things I'm seeing.

Kobe Bryant: Kobe seems to spend 50% of his time playing within the offense, and 50% doing things on his own, forcing shots, missing dunks (admittedly tough ones), and generally  behaving as if Chris Mihm were his center, and Smush Parker his point guard (Smushy-P was a point-guard?  hahahaha!).  Why?  I really don't know.  The guy is quite smart, and should know coach-K's system, having 'almost' signed up at Duke instead of going for the draft after high school 

(shoot, now I've been brain-washed!  why am I quoting meaningless things?).  His shooting percentage is awful, and I've seen him missing 3 dunks in the past 2 games.

On the positives - yep, Kobe is defending well.  He is pressuring well, cutting off passing lanes when he needs to, giving good help defense and weak-side support, and following up on steals by other players. 

The US team is good enough right now to win with Kobe playing like this.  Just think - what if our boy was playing up to his full potential?

And on a great note to end this post - Kobe just rounded the baseline and dunked, and on the follow-up play faked out his defender with a really sweet behind-the-back fake to lay it in.  Woohoo!

No comments: